Nature Photography Day 2021
The art of nature photography is in seeking to both explore and capture the wonder and sheer beauty that surrounds us every day, all in order to make it truly immortal.
For those who really take passion in this field of photography, one philosophy must always take precedent though;
“Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints.”
Back in 2006, as a way to celebrate and truly appreciate nature photography while also seeking to actively promote wildlife conservation, the North American Nature Photography Association created ‘Nature Photography Day’.
15 years later, the enthusiasm for ‘Nature Photography Day’ continues to grow worldwide. Each year on June 15th, all photographers, from the professional to the amateur, are urged to get out into nature and to capture something amazing.
‘Nature Photography Day’ helps to promote the enjoyment of nature photography, as well as to explain how images are used to advance the cause of conservation in protecting plants, wildlife, and landscapes both locally and globally.
Celebrating Irish Nature
For those of us looking for an excuse to get into the Irish outdoors this month – as if you really needed one since lockdown – ‘Nature Photography Day’ is the perfect excuse to do just that!
As a country, home to so much natural beauty, Ireland is one of the most perfect places to capture something wonderful.
From typical wildlife habitats such as hedgerows, ponds and streams, native woodland, bogs, and species-rich meadows and pastures, to stunning landscapes sculpted over the millennia by natural forces, our little island is home to a wonderful range of biodiversity.
For those thinking about getting out and about with a camera this June 15th for ‘Nature Photography Day’, here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Learn about the natural history of your environment before setting out – plants, wildlife, and land.
- Encourage the creative spirit among your family and friends – tell them about books and online resources with suggestions on how to photograph flowers, birds, and more.
- Know that your photos can be invaluable, telling vital stories about nature.
- Even before June 15th, immerse yourself in the legacy of nature photography by reading about the work of naturalists as well as pioneers in the profession.
- Build vibrant memories by picking something close to home that you’ve never photographed before. Make plans to photograph that subject or scene every June 15th as an annual project!
- Create a scavenger hunt for birds, butterflies, insects, rocks, and other natural sights likely to be close to you, but don’t just list what you’ve found – take photos!
Súileir – A Curation of Irish Talent
If you instead find yourself living abroad, but still want to enjoy stunning Irish nature, or indeed if you don’t find yourself very handy with a camera, we at Súileir can bring a piece of the remarkable Irish nature and countryside right into your very own home.
Through our curated works, we have amassed a host of amazing natural images created by some of Ireland’s best photographers and artists. Through the work of these professionals, we are reminded of the great beauty of an ancient island, steeped in natural grace.
By browsing through our online shop, you’re bound to find the perfect gift, either for yourself, or for that someone special. We happily ship worldwide, and can also add a personalised note to any order.
So, what are you waiting for? Have a look at our online shop now and grab a little piece of home, wherever you are.